There is nothing we like more after our dinner in the evening than a slice of homemade cake and this recipe is one of those that always goes down well!!
You can literally put it together in a few minutes as it is all made in the one bowl. The flavours suit this time of year perfectly… it is verging on a Ginger Cake but with the zesty lemon in the icing adding that little bit of sharpness. The first time I baked it, Feargal said it reminded him of a carrot cake but without the carrot!! The use of the dark brown sugar adds a treacly-caramel flavour which goes so well with the autumnal spices. The inclusion of buttermilk also gives it a beautiful moist texture and helps to keep if fresher for longer.
I hope you get a chance to give it a go…
150g Dark Brown Sugar
115g Plain Flour
115g Self-Raising Flour
¼ Teasp Bicarbonate of Soda
½ Tablspn Ground Ginger
1 Teasp Ground Cinnamon
½ Teasp Ground Nutmeg
125g Butter, Softened
85g Golden Syrup
40g Butter, Softened
2 Teasps Finely Grated Lemon Zest
2 – 3 Tablspns Lemon Juice
200g Icing Sugar
1 x 2lb Loaf Tin
- Preheat Oven to 180ºC (160ºC Fan), 350ºF or Gas Mark 4
- Line your baking tin with greaseproof paper (I use the loaf tin greaseproof liners)
- Sift dry ingredients into the bowl of your food mixer, add remaining ingredients.
- Beat mixture on low speed until ingredients are combined, then beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth and has changed to a paler colour. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then remove from the tin, take off baking paper and allow to cool fully on a baking rack.
- Meanwhile, make the icing – beat butter and 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest in a bowl, using a wooden spoon until soft. Gradually beat in the juice and icing sugar – you may only need 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice so don’t add it all in together so as to avoid making your icing too runny
- Spread over cake and sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest
- Enjoy with a cuppa as we do!!!