I’m very partial to Lemon Drizzle Cake and have posted one of my favourites on here previously. However, I had this longing for something which included both Lemon & Lime and from that thought came up with this recipe! Not satisfied with just having the two citrus fruits in the cake itself, I had to go a couple of steps further and include them in a drizzle which I poured over the cake once it came out of the oven and then made a lime buttercream icing to smother over the top…
It has worked out even better than I imagined and I am so pleased with it, I just had to share it on here 🙂
While taking a little bit of time longer than just your standard Lemon Drizzle Cake, I promise you, it is so worth it.. so here ya go!!
115g Butter, Softened
175g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
Zest from 1 Lemon
Zest from 1 Lime
175g Self-Raising Flour
4 – 5 Tablspns Milk (this usually depends on how big your eggs are)
Juice from Lemon used in Cake
Juice from Lime used in Cake
80g Icing Sugar, Sifted
250g Icing Sugar
60g Unsalted Butter, Softened
1 Lime (Zest & Juice)
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC, 160ºC Fan, 350ºF or Gas Mark 4
- Grease a 2lb Loaf Tin or use a Greaseproof Liner (available from most Supermarkets nowadays) as I do. Put the butter and caster sugar into the bowl of your food mixer and beat until pale and fluffy
- Add in the eggs, flour, zest and 4 tablespoons of the milk all at once and mix until combined. Use the last spoon of milk only if the mixture looks a little dry.
- Turn the batter into the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from the lemon and lime and pour into a bowl. Add the icing sugar and stir together until the sugar has dissolved. When the cake is cooked and has just come out of the oven, prick it all over the top using a skewer and then spoon the syrup evenly over the hot cake. Leave to cook in the tin before turning out.
Making the Icing:
- In a bowl, beat the butter, lime juice and zest and half of the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar and beat until thick and creamy
- Spread evenly over the top of your cold cake
Serve & Enjoy 🙂