It’s happened to us all… you get that call to say visitors are on their way and you have nothing in the house to give them with a cuppa!!!
If you need a cake in a hurry, then this is the one to get you out of a pickle 🙂
Lemon Drizzle is one of the all-time classic cakes and I bet most people who enjoy baking will have a recipe for it in their repertoire! This is my recipe and I have lost count of the number of times I have made it.
It is also the bake which I generally leave for guests to our Shepherd’s Hut and have had so many positive comments about it.
Makes: 8 – 10 Slices
175g Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 Large Lemon
175g Self-Raising Flour
4 Tablspns Milk
60g Icing Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C) 350°F or Gas Mark 4
- Grease or line a 2lb Loaf tin with baking paper.
- Put the butter and sugar in the bowl of your mixer and beat together until pale and fluffy (You can also use an electric hand whisk)
- Add the eggs in one at a time and beat until incorporated – if you notice the mixture curdling after you have mixed in the first egg, just add a tablespoon of the flour
- Finely grate the lemon and add the zest to the mixture along with the flour and milk and beat together until well mixed.
- Pour into your prepared tin and bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
- Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from the lemon and mix together with the icing sugar until the sugar is dissolved
- As soon as the cake is cooked and removed from the oven, make lots of little perforations over the top and then spoon the syrup over it.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin before turning out.
As an added exercise on this post, I thought it would be a good idea to calculate the cost of making this Lemon Drizzle. You might be surprised to know that it cost only €2.06 to make one cake which wouldn’t even cover buying a single slice in a Cafe! (Note – I buy the majority of my baking supplies in either Aldi or Lidl)
9 thoughts on “Lemon Drizzle…My ‘Go To’ Cake”
Thank you once again for the recipe dear Bernie! I’m already dreaming of diving into this lovely cake, of course after I bake it 😁 ❤️
You are so very welcome Div… really hope you get the chance to bake it x
So excited to try this recipe. Thx Bernie. X
Can’t wait to hear what you think Katie! Its so easy but so tasty… Bernie x
The texture on this cake looks fabulous! PS I have a red Aga too, aren’t they wonderful?
Its a brilliant recipe Dorothy! A very simple recipe but so very good. Love my Aga too… it’s the electric model but still great 😊
LikeLiked by 1 person
They are the heart of the kitchen for sure! How does the electric model work? Is it up to temp 24/7 like my gas?
Thank you for sharing this delicious & easy recipe. Made it last night & it’s nearly gone already!
So delighted to hear that Michelle… it’ll be your ‘go to’ cake now😊